Q: Since I turned 40, I’ve noticed changes in my skin. What can I do to look more youthful?

 What’s in the Skin Your are In?

Skin is the largest organ in our body. It is flexible, waterproof and insulating. It is the covering protecting us from everything external. It assists the brain with being in touch with the outside world.

Skin is composed of three layers: 1) the epidermis , 2) the dermis and 3)subcutaneous layer. It is perfectly normal for each of us to have some feelings over even minor changes in its appearance; in fact, 84% of women feel pressure to look younger.

Causes of the Signs of Aging
Science has taught us that DNA only accounts for 20% of visible aging changes; our environment, and our daily habits, are responsible for the other 80%. That’s good news, it means we have the majority of control. Some of the causes of signs of aging in the skin can included: poor nutrition, medications,heredity, improper maintenance of skin care regime and exposure to the elements. Consult your physician for all concerns in the condition of your skin that you feel may be health related.

Lifestyle Tips to Slow the Process Down
If your diet and overall health meets your doctor’ standards, take time to investigate into some of the more popular cosmetic products available in the market, and be sure to incorporate these lifestyle tips to fight against the normal signs of aging:

  • Sleep on your back. Over time, pressing your face into your pillow may cause the pillow creases to become permanently “etched” into your skin.
  •  No smoking. Smoking breaks down collagen, impairs wound healing and restricts blood vessels, resulting in sagging, sallow and course skin.
  • Don’t drink from a straw. Puckering has been observed to increase wrinkling around the lips.
  • Keep those eyes covered. Sunglasses are a must, everyday, no matter how cloudy it is.
  • Don’t make faces. There may be some credence to the old saying, “ Don’t make that face, it may freeze that way”. I can’t prove my mom right, but over the years I’ve noticed lines showing up where I have repeatedly made that “funny ” face.

Anti Aging Industry
 So strong is our desire for a youthful appearance that 2009 Anti Aging was a $2.5 billion industry and it is projected to grow to double by 2015. Not all products live up to their claims, but there are good non invasive topical cosmetic products which are capable of penetrating -to various degrees- to the dermis where it can aid in reducing fine lines and firming the skin.

Proper Skincare Maintenance 
It’s best to start with a proper skin care regime when you are younger, but it is never to late to start. Many people feel the “proof” of the product is in the results it provides. Before you buy, look into the products. Look for product recommendations from people you trust.

LIVE BEAUTIFULLY EVENT. Free to All Attendees
For a personal experience with one good skin care line, visit our events page for the next  LIVE BEAUTIFULLY EVENT. Free to all attendees, the event is a casual discussion of skin care products for all ages and skin types. Unable to attend an event? Drop us a line for a product recommendation.

Advertisements